Things that are My Year in Running 2016

Friday, December 16

Though my mileage has been down significantly this year I have learned much more by not running than actually running.

I'm linking up with Courtney over at Eat Pray Run DC. Here's my year in running:



Best race experience: It would have to be running the Donald Half Marathon in Orlando, FL while running the Dopey Challenge of 48.6 miles in 4 days. It was January 9, which also happens to be my birthday. Even though my time was horrible it was the memories that I created with my wonderful running friends that I will cherish more.

Best run: After undergoing a failed In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) round in January, I didn't do a ton of running. While I wasn't running as much, it allowed my body to heal from the fertility meds as well as an injury I had on the back of my knee. With my mileage being on the low end I was able to have a successful 5k race on July 4, with a pretty good time of 30:24.

Best new piece of running gear: I didn't get any new running gear this year. Not even new running socks. Hopefully next year I can get an new pair of shoes and maybe a new watch.

Best running advice you've received this year: While I was running the Mickey Marathon, it was hard to go from running to stopping and back and forth (lots of character pictures). I kept what Courtney (Eat Pray Run DC) said last year "run the mile you're in" in my head during that race. I had never heard the quote before, but that seemed to help on those last few miles of running the marathon.

Most Inspirational Runner: Heather, who I follow on Instagram (@Triandrungirl). After several difficult marathons she finally got her BQ, and also became an Ironman in the same year. She has been such an inspiration to me this year, even though this has been a very less active year for me.

Favorite Picture from a Run or Race This Year:
This one is bright and early birthday morning (Jan 9) for our Donald Half Marathon. I was super excited and ready to run a half. I don't think I have ever felt more prepared to not care about a time, than that day. I was there to have fun, and it was a ton of fun.


I know this isn't a picture of me, but it is of my two good running friends, Shelly and Celise. We were all supposed to run Dumbo Double Dare Challenge and get our coast to coast medals. We were all sure that I would be about 8 months pregnant and running that much probably wasn't the best idea. So I didn't sign up. After two failed IVF cycles, they thought no better way to cheer me up, than to get me to California and run the Disneyland Half Marathon with them. Since they were doing the Challenge (including the 10k), I was off walking around Downtown Disney waiting for them to pass by. I saw them and teared up. They were wearing (even though they told me they would be wearing "forget the glass slippers" outfit) my Running with Infertility shirts, and had dedicated that run to me and Chase and all that we had been through. To me that was the best thing anyone had ever done for me. That is why I'm including it in one of my favorite pictures. It serves as a reminder of all the heartbreak, loss, and good runs that I have had this year.

Race Experience You would repeat in a heartbeat: Running The Dopey Challenge. There were 4 of us in our group and we had the best of times. Yes, it was crowded, but I believe Disney knows how to put on good races. If I had the money ($560) to sign up for it, I would do it again.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would it be?: "Expensive." I spent a lot of money on races (Dopey mainly) and fertility treatments. If I had to choose another phrase it would be "a year of learning." I learned a lot about what my body is capable of and can see that I can progress.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
P.S. Sale going on in the Shop through December 31. Go check it out!
___________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture of your friends - how incredibly sweet! Thank you for linking up again. Best wishes for the holidays and 2017! :)

    ReplyDelete