Things that are Hiking in Utah: Squak Peak

Friday, December 2

The day after getting our negative beta I felt so alone in our house. We had kept it a secret from everyone and honestly wanted it to be kept private until we had grieved.

I hadn't been able to be active for over a month and it was literally driving me nuts. Since I've always been so active it was hard for me to not do anything for that period of time. I told Chase I wanted to do something with him and not sit around all day. So I mentioned a hike - since it was just a little too hot to go out running. I had seen a friends' Instagram post on hiking squaw peak and how she had done it in just a few hours. I started looking up the way on how to hike up there and which way would be the fastest. I convinced Chase to hike it with me.

I found it was about 7 miles round trip. I thought that would be a fun "little" hike. We packed a few water bottles and some snacks and headed out.

There are a few ways of getting to the actual part where you hike to Squaw Peak Summit. You can drive to Squaw Peak campground and hike to the fork in the trail. Or you can drive to Rock Canyon and hike to the same fork in the trail. Either way will get you up to Squaw Peak Summit. Hiking from the campground adds on a few extra miles. So we opted for the Rock Canyon route.

The trail starts out as a paved path, but then gradually turns to a rocky, gravel path (hence the name of the canyon). The first two miles I wasn't feeling the greatest. I felt weak and lightheaded. Having not exercised heavily for a few months really cause my body to overheat. I also felt like I was over doing it. Eating some snacks and resting for the first couple of miles helped. We also tried to get my temperature down, cause it felt like I wasn't sweating. Which wasn't good - we used these cooling towels that we got from the Dopey Challenge in Florida, and they seemed to work.



We reached the fork in the trail and then Chase said we would reach a part of the trail where it was 1 mile uphill. We walked about a half mile, and then it was all uphill. It was seriously hard - I don't think I've hiked that steep before. We reached a field area and thought we were almost there, unfortunately that was not the case.

Cute little caterpillar
We hiked another mile and we found a geocache and got a cool monster truck toy from it. We always try and find geocaches while we travel, and it's always something to look forward to.


We finally made it to the top. I touched the flag pole just to prove that I hiked to the top of that tough mountain.
Beautiful Timpanogos
Backside of Rock Canyon


We got a great panoramic shot of Utah Valley a lot higher than hiking the "Y."




The return trip was steep down. It went a lot faster down as opposed to up. On the steep part down my it-bands and inner knees were burning. Once we reached the fork in the path, they didn't hurt as bad (as the incline wasn't as steep).

It was so nice to accomplish something so hard after hearing such bad news the previous day.
___________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

No comments:

Post a Comment