Things that are #Microblog Monday: Gratitude not Complainitude

Monday, September 12

How many things do we complain about on a daily basis?

We complain that our phone screen has shattered, about our marital status, our relationships with our spouse, comparing our relationship to others "perfect" relationships, our car problems, having to go a few more weeks pregnant, how we can't run a race because we're injured, how we did not finish (DNF) on our first marathon, how hot this summer has been, how after 7 years of trying to get pregnant we still aren't parents, how cold the winter is, or how much it's been raining... The list could go on and on - you get what I'm saying.

My question is why is there this constant need to share negativity? When we have so much in this world to be grateful for and to share the good. By using social media to spread the good in the world and by sharing gratitude - not complainitude (Yes, I just made up that word). I find it interesting how someone can post something so negative and it seems like everyone comments and agrees. Yet, someone posts something that they are grateful for/happy about, and no one comments.

In the book Conquering Infertility, Dr. Alice Domar says, "In our society most of us were brought up to believe that to share good things is bragging but to share bad things is socially acceptable."

We spend a lot of time feeling sorry for ourselves, complaining, and comparing ourselves to others that we forget to be grateful and focus on serving others and celebrating their wins! I'll be honest I am totally at fault. But I have slowly started changing my mindset to focus on celebrating others and their wins, and not wishing I had what they have.

I saw this on my Instagram feed a while ago:


It takes a lot of courage and love to celebrate others' wins - when you so desperately want to be in their place. But with a lot of hard work, determination, and effort you can have those same wins too. We just need to remember that nothing is out of reach.

I have found that even if we aren't winning at times that if we stop focusing on ourselves and focus on others it brings us more joy and happiness. It always amazes me how not thinking of myself and thinking of what I can do to help my friends helps bring me more happiness. There's a scripture that's been in my head, Mosiah 2:17 that reads "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." I think that joy and happiness we feel as we serve is because we're serving them. Serving others helps us feel closer to God and that's ultimately what He wants us to do.

**I'm linking up with Stirrup-Queens for this weeks #Microblog Monday.
_________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Yep, could not agree more. Social media (Facebook) is notorious for a dumping ground of bad things. No wonder so many of us take breaks, like it is some sort of stressful relationship we're in. That's why I try to only post the happy things. Not like fake happy, but just things that aren't going to depress people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one trying to make the place a little better. :)

      Delete