Things that are Friday Five: Exercises as of Late

Friday, July 1

A few weeks ago my sister had an "I've had it" moment. That's the moment you decide you are done living a certain way, you can't handle your situation, you are fed up... She was ready to begin being healthier, wanting to exercise, and ultimately feel better about herself. I was ALL for that, because I've been kind of fed up with how I've been treating my body lately and was on board to help her and to be a companion and someone she can rely on.

This quote reminds me of how my fitness journey always seems to go
I've had a weird knee injury (the left instead of the right like last year) the past few months (boo) and have taken a big break from all things running. I love running - but it's worth it for me to be injury free then feel pain every time I run. Because of my own personal injury,  I've been doing different workouts with her to help her enjoy her fitness journey. I want her (and I) to not think of it as a chore but rather as "something I get to do." I'm no expert in fitness, but I know what my body can and can't do certain things and that's what I usually go with. We've been taking it slow to ease into exercising because we're in it for the long haul.

Here are a few exercises that we've been doing and have been loving:

1. Barre - now it's not Pure Barre like Courtney goes to. And I'm sure there are a lot of similarities, though I would like to try a Pure Barre class sometime. I like this because in my class we sometimes will do cardio as well as strength train. I have also noticed more definition in my arms now that I've continued to go to barre, and I LOVE IT!


2. Hiking - We've only been on 1 hike so far, but it was a lot of fun, and worth the little distance we went (though I should have tracked it).


3. Elliptical - I found one at the gym that I love and it by far does the best at simulating the motion of running. Though it would be so fun to try and elliptigo one time.


4. Biking - We've gone on one down to Utah Lake, and we also took a trip up Provo Canyon on the bikes. I'm still working at getting to Bridal Veil Falls. We'll get there soon.



5. Swimming - I love swimming, I love the water. I will stick to swimming pools for now, and maybe venture to do another triathlon down the road.

6. Walking - I walk a LOT at work. Our warehouse is very long and the bathroom is on the other side of the warehouse from where I work. So I get in quite a few steps walking and finishing orders.
Walking around at the Air Show

7. Strength Training - I put together a little workout to do some exercises trying to make it a full body strength workout. {Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls, Military Press, Tricep Kickbacks, Overhead Dumbbell Extensions, Lateral Raises, Front Lateral Raises, Squats, Lunges, and Reverse Squats as well as some abs} I'm sure there's a lot more that I could add, but I'm still a beginner. I would love any recommendations.

**I also chose exercises that were low impact so I can continue to do them once I'm given the X on high impact activity with our IVF cycle next month. I love working out and in January (previous IVF cycle) it was a real struggle to go from running a marathon to no exercise in just 2 short weeks. I want to continue to be able to exercise long into a pregnancy.

I'm linking up with Courtney, Mel and Cynthia for this week's Friday Five. (though it's more of like a 7)
__________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

5 comments:

  1. Hey my Friday 5 post is about how to get started in weight training! Maybe that could help you with your full body workout?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks Meg! I will go check it out now!

      Delete
  2. I have never tried Barre nor Pure Barre class.Sounds like a good workout. Great job on your cross training. It's always a nice change from running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barre is a pretty good workout. I love how taking breaks from running makes you want to run more. Cross training is so important with running as well as strength training - from what I've been learning. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the variety! I want to do more hiking. I always try to include push-ups in my strength workouts, but you've covered a lot with yours.

    ReplyDelete