Things that are A Fertility Fundraiser

Wednesday, June 8

Back in March, after Chase and I met with our RE about our next steps we discussed having a fundraiser to help us pay for our IVF cycle. So Chase and I got a little committee together to help us plan and get everything ready.

Before meeting with our committee we set up a Go Fund Me account for those who were out of town who wanted to donate but who were unable to make it to the event. At the meeting we discussed having a yard sale, bake sale, silent auction, a character meet & greet, and possible food trucks. We decided on June 4, because any week in May could bring the possibility of rain. We were thinking of a yard sale with a carnival for the kids: bounce house, balloon artists, face painting, etc. We thought of food trucks, and the possibility of selling "Running with Infertility" shirts at the actual event.

We gave assignments to our committee and we went to work.

A few weeks after our meeting, Chase and I decided we wanted to host a virtual 5k. We thought it would be cool to use my blog's name as the name for the virtual 5k. We decided to do a virtual 5k since it would be quite the undertaking to go the normal route for setting everything up for a 5k. With the cost of insurance, getting vendors and booths, and volunteers, it just seemed too daunting for us.

Our first goal was to get enough yard sale items. So we started asking friends and family for donations. Then our family and friends started asking their family and friends for donations, and our garage slowly filled, and we eventually had to park outside our garage. It was amazing how many people were willing to donate their stuff to us. We ended up having LOADS of clothes.

The next step was to advertise. I asked a blogger group I am a part of, and they had some ideas on where to post things and how to advertise for free.

Chase created flyers for the virtual 5k, and I thought it would be good for us to go handbill cars at other races.


I found a flyer I liked and I mimicked and created a flyer for our event.  It helps to have some knowledge of Photoshop. It took me a few hours to create, but it turned out exactly how I wanted it to. I posted it to a few sites, and I also posted it to as many Facebook yard sale groups that would let me. We also started going to local businesses to get our flyer up and our committee put up them up at their work. We did everything to try and advertise the event and I think we ended up with having around 700 people. I know the event page reached over 7,000 people and so getting at least 10% of those people there was great. 

We used our nonprofit (a post for another day) that Chase and I spent a lot of time working on to help us get those silent auction items for our event. It's also good to have and know connections. We went to people and places we knew. A few weeks before the event we got signs donated by a local company, graphik, that we put up in front of our venue, which happened to be a well trafficked road. 

The week before the event I posted to Craigslist and our local KSL classifieds to get our yard sale out there. I should have posted it a few weeks before, as well as the day before, but with pricing everything for the sale, getting everything loaded into a 26' truck, I didn't have much time for posting things on social media. Which I definitely regret.

The day of the event:

The morning of the event could have gone a little smoother, but this was a learning experience for all of us. We got a lot of donations the night before so it was just trying to get items out and organized to be seen. Within a couple hours we had everything out. The silent auction was up and running and the bake sale was going strong. We had a few vendors show up; my friend Kelsey did chair massages for $5, Enso Rings, Utah Infertility Resource Center, and my friend, Nessa, selling her minifigs (Legos).


At around 7:30/8am Ernies Sports Deli Food Truck showed up for breakfast and stayed until 1pm. We also had Bam Bams BBQ Food Truck show up from 11am-3pm - and I still haven't tried their food. Both food trucks were a big hit! I would have marketed more for them (and I wish they could have marketed for us better too) more if I had known they were for sure coming a week before. 
All Ernie's employees with Leo, War Machine and Iron Man

Chase and I with Bam Bams BBQ

We had character meet & greets with Leo the Lion (Real Salt Lake Soccer Team) from 9-10am. Which seemed like a big hit, but unfortunately I don't think many people showed up to see him. I contacted Party with the Princesses and they were sweet and were able to get 4 characters to come hang out for several hours! We ended up having Snow White, Rapnunzel and Flynn Rider, and Merida. They were a huge hit and I cannot thank them enough! I definitely think they brought more people to our event.

Leo's pretty tough to carry me

Aren't they pretty awesome?!

By the end of the day all of the volunteers including Chase and I, were exhausted (and I'm still recovering from it). We had a really long day of 12+ hours, with getting the event set up and taking everything down. We sold a lot of items at the yard sale, and with silent auction and bake sale we were able to raise $4,000 for The Hope for Fertility Foundation. Hopefully the foundation will hold another event to help raise more money to help couples struggling with infertility.


__________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

2 comments:

  1. Omg! What a fun and stressful day. So happy you guys were able to raise so much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was both fun and stressful, like you said. It took a few hours to fully get everything on how we wanted it. We are seriously so blessed to be able to raise so much money! :)

      Delete