Things that are Reflecting on Mother's Day

Sunday, May 8


I listen to quite a few podcasts ranging from running podcasts to Dave Ramsey to infertility podcasts. Well I was listening to one this morning and it helped me to want to reflect on my own mother and her example that she's given me.

I'm the oldest in my family and my parents got divorced when I was 11. I lived with my mom and she did everything - I mean she had to make money as well as raise 3 kids. That takes a lot of work. I will admit I was the guinea pig. I was the one that seemed to get the worst punishment out of my siblings and was the one that my siblings hopefully looked up to. The good things that Mom really stressed to me growing up was:

1. Never wear flip flops to church - you wear your Sunday best, and I had church shoes, so I had to wear my church shoes which weren't flip flops.
2. We always went to church and school - like always. She basically said that if we don't go to church/school, then we can't go do other things after. Which meant we weren't allowed to have fun. 
3. She went to church every Sunday whether us kids wanted to go or not. She was that rock and example that we needed. 
4. She taught me the principle of work. Though talking about money and how to use my money, with either parent was unfortunately taboo. 
5. She helped me understand that we need Christ in our life. She helped me grow my own strong testimony of Him.

This weekend I wanted to focus on reflecting on a woman in your life that has been a wonderful example to you, whether that is your mother or not. Focus on other great women around you, not necessarily what your own circumstances are at the moment. There are a lot of great strong women we can look up to (even those women in the scriptures), and that is who I want to think about.

It seems like for the past 7 or so years that we've been struggling, I always seem to focus on me and how I've NOT been able to become a mother. To be honest I've grown numb to people who say "you're still a mother." I feel that I'm not sometimes and other times I feel like I am. One example that I have been a mother is, I was getting ready to play a soccer game with friends last summer and their son wanted me to hold him, not his mom. He really made an effort to show me that he wanted ME to hold him. Which I admit, made me feel like $1,000 bucks. Being an "aunt" to my friends kids helps me feel that I can help be a mother like figure to them.

I think you can still be a mother or a mother like figure to those who surround you. Staying on the straight and narrow path to be able to be with your potential posterity is something that we need to be doing. Doing things that God wants us to do, like reading our scriptures, praying and attending church. A mom (whether it's yours or another mom) is a good example of what you wanna be when you grow up, right? I know my mom wasn't perfect, but she sure tried and I think she did a pretty good job at raising me

This Mother's Day instead of focusing on the inward feelings we may be feeling, lets focus on the good, strong women that are in our lives. Those good women who are strong in faith, charity, hope and the goodness that we feel from Christ. Surrounding yourself with those women will help you create a better self, and help us to have a better attitude with being selfless and caring towards others. 

My challenge for this Mother's Day is to think of a few women in your life and tell them/show them how much they mean to you. If you can't/aren't able to let them know, then write down your feelings in a journal. 
_______________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

No comments:

Post a Comment