Things that are an Article on "Infertility in Utah: A Unique Experience"

Wednesday, March 16


There was an article that was on KSL back in January that briefly talks about a couple struggling with infertility, while the remainder of the article focuses on statistics given by the newly established Utah Infertility Resource Center (UIRC). In the article they surveyed women/couples (the majority in Utah, and I guess from one of the support groups that I'm in on Facebook) on a few different things related to infertility; infertility by the numbers, what infertility feels like, barriers to treatment, and reaching out for support. If you are interested in reading the full article it can be found HERE. I think the main points in the article are great and need to be reiterated.

Infertility by the numbers
The article listed a website where you can compare fertility clinics and gives you a "smart" rating which is based on multiple births, percent of transfers resulting in live births, single births, and number of cycles performed at the clinic. So if you are thinking of switching clinics or are moving, you may want to check it out.

What infertility feels like
The UIRC found that most women with infertility seemed isolated. I have definitely felt isolated, especially at church. Infertility is quite the emotional roller coaster. I think it is a lot worse when you are going through a fertility treatment (either on fertility meds, going through IUI or IVF). I have experienced all the emotions you could even think of; anger, frustration, sadness, anxiety (especially at church, around lots of moms with kids, and pregnant ladies), depression, and fear of never becoming a parent. Those are just a few of the emotions that come up, obviously not all at once, but I have experienced them one time or another.

Barriers to Treatment
I think the most common barrier is not having the money to pay for treatments. When medicated IUI cycles are around $1,000+, and IVF being anywhere from $10,000-$20,000 it can definitely put a financial burden on the couple struggling. It also doesn't help that not all insurances cover the cost of infertility. Mine thankfully covered up to $5,000 for fertility treatments, but since it was a lifetime max I could only use it once. It also is very hard when your RE is pushing treatments, but you are not mentally ready for that 2nd IVF cycle. I think feelings of hopelessness are another barrier to treatment - you are hopeless that the treatment will not work, or work again after a failed cycle, so it's harder the next time if you choose to do it again.

Reaching out for Support
Support doesn't necessarily mean going to or participating in a support group, though I have found it beneficial when I have questions, and am not having luck on performing an online search. It is also good to know that you aren't alone in your struggle. I often get told by friends and family that I'm not alone - I know I'm not alone, but if I have feelings of depression or isolation, then I feel that I am alone. Finding support, whether a support group, a friend who is going through infertility too, or going to an class/event to learn more about a certain subject can be greatly beneficial.
____________________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

No comments:

Post a Comment