Things That Got Me Into Running

Thursday, February 18

Here's what got me into running and how it's pretty easy for anyone to get into running:

Chase and I ran our first 5k, I believe in 2009. We ran/walked the Lindon Days 5k. It seriously was SO hard, and I did not have the right clothes for it. I wore long sweat pants, a cotton shirt, and had ugly crew socks on (I didn't have any ankle socks), and I think I had actual running shoes. Probably the worst thing to wear in the middle of August. I'm not sure if I said I wouldn't do that again, I just thought it might be good for me to actually be able to run something at another time. We came in I think with a time of 45 minutes.

In 2011 I convinced my brother and sister to run with me for the next Lindon Days 5k. I had worked all summer long training for this race - we had really good trails around our house. I was doing really good, even had a 10 minute PR, from the previous race, and I came in at 35:50. But it was a hard course, downhill for the first 1.5 miles, then uphill for the last. I knew that was how it would be and I was mentally prepared for that. I had better clothes on; capris, ankle socks, I wore ascis, and a cotton/poly t-shirt, and of course my ipod with headphones.
 photo aeb0186d.jpg

In my training that summer, I really learned how to run, and breath. Most people I have talked to who want to start running say they feel they can't breath. That is truth, but also it is from them not having any endurance, and you have to build that up over time. I started by teaching myself a breathing rhythm. Let me explain, as I was running I would take 4 breaths in with my steps that I took, and then exhaled the same amount over 4 steps. So breath in, 2, 3, 4, and out 2, 3, 4. I still use that method when I am doing speed workouts, and by trying to calm my body down into thinking that it's not going to die or suffocate.

I ran another race that October with my Brother-In-Law, and I got faster again... It was cold and I wore a headband and gloves (and both came off about a mile into the race), capris, a long sleeve shirt and a cotton shirt over my long sleeve shirt. I came in with a time of 33:42.
 photo f3418678.jpg

That next spring (2012), I ran with a new friend for the first ever Elevate 5k. My new friend, Alli, decided she was going to do a race a month for a whole year. Since she started in March, and I started in April, I thought it would be fun to do it with her. We ran that whole year, training with each other and running races. Shortly after Thanksgiving she found out she was pregnant, and ended up not finishing her goal, but I kept going.

I on the other hand was not pregnant (unfortunately - a big unfortunately) and signed up for my first half marathon for the following January, and found out a friend from Vegas was running it too, and met a few more friends from Vegas.

 photo C8B7110F-8902-43EE-9601-B03CC8AF6321-1484-000000C04C14AC03_zps256d499c.jpg

 I finished running a whole year of races in April with running the same Elevate 5k and even convinced Chase to run it!

 photo C193E5C7-CD80-4DA5-AAB2-EE1E7BA2234A-1484-000000BFA372B392_zpsfbcc455f.jpg


I'm pretty sure anyone can sign up and run a race. There are a lot of couch to 5k programs, and Chase actually did one to get him up to start running, and now he's still able to run with me after several years of going back and forth with running.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to train and complete a race (5k, 10k, half marathon or even a full marathon). It may seem daunting, and you may be scared and say "well, what if I can't make the cut off time?" or "what if I injure myself?" Most programs only require you to run/walk for 30-45 minutes. Can you give up one indulgence for that long? I promise you, you can get a lot done when you aren't on the computer/ on your phone/ on social media/ playing video games.

Running has become such a big part of my life, as well as exercising, and strength training. I have learned a lot about my body and how to take care of it to keep injuries from arising. Even though I don't have big running goals this year (I already completed them at the beginning of January) I will still run when I can and possibly train for another half or full marathon - no promises though! If I do start running again my main focus will be on speed. Running has helped me overcome and deal with those hard days that are associated with infertility as well as other struggles that I go through.

I would love to help you any way that I can with questions or training tips and/or tricks. I'm still learning how to get faster - I'm slow if you couldn't tell from my Race PR's. Though I am not a certified running coach or a medical professional, I have learned a little bit on how to take care of my body and know my limitations. My limitations will be different from yours so please be cautious.
___________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

2 comments:

  1. Great job on increasing your speed for each race. I remember starting out and a mile seemed so hard but as breathing gets better so does everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a really slow process for increasing time, and I've hit a plateau, so my goal is to work on more speed this year. I know I can do it, and I think anyone can do it too.

      Isn't it amazing how if you get the breathing down everything else seems a little better?

      Delete