Things that are TIMPanogos Half Marathon Recap

Tuesday, August 11

So this was kind of a last minute decision to run this race.

I got up at the awful hour of 3:15am. I had my stuff ready the night before so I could get dressed, get my food and leave. I was out the door by 3:45.

I was surprised at how much traffic there was, but considering there were over 1300 people who ran, that makes perfect sense. I parked about 2 blocks away, and just walked to the buses.

Since I was by myself I got to sit by someone I don't know on the bus ride up to the start. It's always fun to sit and chat with another runner. The gal I sat next to got my number and hopefully I can join her Ragnar team for next year (My bucket list for running is doing the Wasatch Back Ragnar and Vegas Ragnar in the same year).

I also saw a few people that I know - a girl that works at my chiropractors office, and a blogger that I have gotten to know well through Instagram. Both ran a lot faster than me! That's okay! I'm training to be faster! :)

It had started to lighten up by the time the we started the race. The race started at Tibble Fork, in American Fork Canyon.


There was 7.5 miles until you were out of the canyon. The requirement was you had to be out of the canyon by 7:30, which is about a 14 minute mile. I was out just after 7.

It was so pretty running down the canyon. The only thing I decided I DO NOT like is running down a steep canyon road. The whole time I was running down the canyon, I kept thinking "get me outta here!" and "Am I almost out of the canyon?!". I know it was horrible of me to think like that - but I KNEW that too much of the downhill can cause me MAJOR ITBS problems for me! Something that I didn't want to flair up again. I've been doing great at keeping it at bay.

There was a guy ducking out of my picture so he wasn't in it! haha! It was pretty funny! You would think he would WANT to photo bomb my picture, right?

Once out of the canyon I was doing great! I stopped and stretched for a few minutes, which seemed like a must after running down the canyon. I had ran part of the course last year for the Rivalry Relay, so I knew there were a few small hills and I was willing to tackle them. By this point there were lots of people walking up the hills - I don't blame them, I would if I hadn't told myself that I wasn't going to run them in the first place. HA!

I was neck and neck with this older guy the whole time. I would pass him and then walk for a little bit, and then he would catch up and pass me. It was a game we were playing - except he was winning because he was running the whole time and I wasn't. Finally at mile 12, he started walking - I passed him and told him he was doing awesome. Then I just started passing lots of people. See I have a game plan when I run (not really - but lets believe that I do) I reach a certain point on the course (usually mile 10-13.1) that a lot of people are just walking, they are spent and are either exhausted or injured, and I pass them. Probably not the nicest thing to say out loud here. But it's truth - gotta save your energy for those last few miles, and just keep running!


It definitely wasn't my best time, but I also wasn't doing it to get a Personal Record. I have worked really REALLY hard to remain injury free after my knee injury back at the end of May. After all this hard work I'm not going to go "all out" on a race that I wasn't exactly sure I was going to run in the first place, and injure myself. It doesn't make any sense.

I finished in 2:24 minutes per chip time. My watch told me I ran it in 2:19 minutes. Not sure where 5 minutes went. They did say the course was 13.36 miles, but that wouldn't have put me at 5 minutes over (I think I forgot to turn off my watch when I reached the finish line - I have done that a few times). Either way I'm still really happy with my overall time.

I'm pretty happy with how I did - I'm glad I got an orange Creamie at the end of the race. I love the medal and It's pretty stellar!
-------------------------------------
Pros: Started on time, Beautiful course through American Fork Canyon, Awesome Medal, and Awesome shirts.
Cons: I swear they said in an email that there was chocolate milk at the end of the race, which is something that I ALWAYS look forward to, and I didn't see any; There was scarce food at the finish line; There were a few aid stations that did not have any water and only had powerade; There was also a LOT of congestion in trying to get needed nourishment at the finish line (all about the food - can you tell?!).

Will I run this race again? I don't know, it definitely depends on the swag, the medal and if I'm up for running 7.5 miles all downhill. :P
_______________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

No comments:

Post a Comment