Things That Are Our First Medicated IUI

Tuesday, August 25

Back in July, Chase and I went to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist, one that we haven't seen before. We switched clinics because we didn't feel we had been treated very kindly and didn't feel like we were being taken care of. Felt like we had no direction. Well...

Source

In my last Male Factor Infertility update

I said this:

"We just recently had an appointment with our new RE (Dr. Foulk). In the appointment he mentioned that we did Femara with 2 cycles, but didn't do anything as far as sperm goes. So we had the egg, but not the sperm, so we wasted 2 cycles doing that. Then Chase got with the clinical trial, and it boosted his sperm, but we didn't do any treatments for me. So we had the sperm, but not the egg. So this time (and with insurance hopefully working...) we are going to do it right... We'll have the sperm (SA) + the egg (Femara, hCG, Progesterone Suppositories) = outcome of a baby. Basically we are going to do 3 rounds of IUI.

Dr. Foulk was really worried about me, and my ovarian reserve level. I guess it is a bit lower than what my aged women have in their own bodies. He was also worried about my fallopian tubes not working properly. He said they may be clear (from the HSG), but not functioning properly.

I seriously was so impressed by him, and his ability to explain it on a level for Chase and I to get. He didn't say the only way for us to have kids is through IVF (which our previous RE had said), he said we're gonna try IUI, and if that doesn't work then we'll meet back here in 3 months."

So within a week of our appointment with Dr. Foulk I had a few days where I thought I saw Aunt Flo (AF) come but it was a false alarm. The nurses (who are so gosh darn patient with me) asked me to come in for my baseline, even though AF hadn't really started yet. There was confusion on my end because I didn't know if spotting was considered my period, because the last RE said that it WAS cycle day 1, when this clinic said that cycle day 1 is full flow of my period. After them explaining that to me, I went back to the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and in it, said that sometimes women will start spotting towards the end of the Luteal Phase of your cycle. So they did a baseline using an instrument called a "transvaginal wand," and found out that my uterine wall was still too thick. They said that Femara needed to be taken when your uterine lining was thin, due to your period, and that it wasn't good to take it when your uterine wall was still thick. They told me they would call the next day to see if AF had started, which it did happen to start. The nurses told me to start taking them that night, but I waited until the next night to start taking them to really make sure my uterine lining was thin enough.

I started taking Femara, 3 times a day for 5 days. I did not take that much the last time I was on it (back in 2013). I honestly wasn't expecting to be THAT emotional. I don't think I've cried THAT much and have been THAT moody in all the years we've been trying during my monthly cycles. That was definitely a change, and not a good one. I can see how women totally freak out on their husbands when they are on Clomid, or Femara...
 

I scheduled my follicle scan for day 11 while on the call with the nurse. We went in and did another ultrasound (same wand as stated above - that's all that they use and you must have an empty bladder for this ultrasound), and I had a good sized follicle on my right and an okay sized one on my left. Once dressed they told me I was supposed to give myself the hCG injection (The hCG injection is to get me to ovulate without waiting on my body to ovulate) at 3:30pm that day. Since I used to be a medical assistant I know how to give injections, I just didn't know how to give myself one. The worst part was the anticipation of getting it ready to be injected in my belly. The only problem was I was headed back to work, and would need to give myself the shot in the bathroom there.



We scheduled the IUI for the following day and Chase needed to give his sample about 1.5 hours before our IUI. Our IUI was set for 3:30 on Chase's birthday (what a great birthday present right?!). I was really nervous, and I told Chase the whole drive over that I was nervous. When the nurse came in she went over the procedure with us and I tried asking questions to make sure I knew what was going down before she did anything to me. She asked if I had a full bladder - she said it makes it a lot easier to find the cervix (Remember that if we go through this again...). I told her of my past experience and that they had to use a tenaculum to straighten out my cervix (that was seriously traumatizing for me - as you can tell from my nervousness), and she said if she needed she would just use a more rigid catheter. There was a little bit quite a bit of cramping (deep breaths and tylenol) for me during and after the procedure. She took the catheter out and bumped up the bed so my hips were elevated, and asked that I lay there for 10 minutes and then come out dressed and they had instructions for Chase and I.


So in a huge long post - that was our first medicated IUI experience. Let me say that it was MUCH better than going to my general doc and having him do this (insert painful word here) procedure. What made it worse (going to try and not be too graphic here) when we did those 3 IUI's with the general doc is that he would keep me in the stirrups and have all of the equipment used for the procedure in place for those 10 minutes. Talk about crampy.

Now we are a week into our two week wait (2ww, tww). I know there are lots of people who would rather they go it alone without the support, but we did 3 IUI's without telling our families, and it made it so much harder to not have that support. This time we told them and our friends and some extended family - I also posted the picture above on social media to get people praying for us. We wanted prayers and positive thoughts flowing towards us so we thought it was important to share. Just like everyone else posts about their pregnancy announcements we post our baby making announcement! HA!
Source

Here's to staying busy the next week!
_____________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what an experience! I hope it turns out well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amberly! It was definitely an experience, but a better one then the last ones we did.

      Delete
  2. I really hope the best for you and my fingers are crossed for you. I have been there doing the shots and it is not fun. Let me know if you ever need to talk because I get it. I get it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! We should get together and chat!

      Delete
  3. You are an incredible woman! Many prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an incredible woman! Many prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and praying for pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete