Things that are 2015 Winter Series 15k Race Recap

Saturday, February 28

This will probably be my last race for a few months, and I will not be running for the next 2-4 weeks per Chiropractor. Lovely iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) ugh... If you can't tell I'm really frustrated with my body. I want to run, but I need to take better care of it. I've been really really stupid and haven't been training correctly or even doing enough strength training/cross training. Don't be mad at me (cause I am already mad at myself)

I went to my Chiropractor on Monday (2/23). He gave me a few more stretches to do to help with my tight hips (and yes tight hips do have something to do with ITBS). He also told me to do all of the exercises/stretches that I was doing with my last ITBS on my right leg last year. Electrical acupuncture helps with getting all the bad stuff out of my muscles. I am amazed at how well this stuff works.

______________________________________________________________
Winter Series 15k Recap

I happened to win this race on Facebook through Utah Running Guide back in January. I have entered in several drawings before but have never been chosen. So it was fun to actually win a race for a change.


I got an email from the Race Series on Thursday and they had mentioned that if you are going to be slower than 2 hours then you need to start at 9am instead of 10am. Because of the pain I've been having I felt that I needed to start at 9. I found a pace calculator online so I could see how fast I needed to be, I knew that I could be slower than that, and didn't want to chance it.

Race Day:

I tried a honey stinger for the first time (yes I know not to try anything new on race day - but I knew my stomach could handle it) and got some sport beans watermelon flavor. They were pretty good - I had a few sport beans before when I ran the St. George Half Marathon last month, and a friend had given me some because I couldn't open up my pack of Cliff Chews. 

 It was about 26 degrees when we started at 9am. I was SUPER cold!
 Starter Selfie

 Chase got a cool panoramic pic. He is such a trooper and will wait 2+ hours for me to run a race. While he waited he got school work done, so it worked out for him.

 It was nice out and it was pretty cool to be next to the Salt Flats. Some how just after half way my Nike+ watch decided it couldn't find the GPS - Really weird.
 While I was walking I decided to take a picture of myself. I look like I have something in my mouth  but I don't.

I was at about mile 6-7 when the 1st place runner passed me. He was going so fast that I couldn't get my phone out fast enough to take a picture of him. He's that little person that I circled in the above photo. I counted at least 10+ guys until I saw the first female runner. I'm still amazed at how much faster guys can run than girls.

Chase got a few action shots of me, and I'm glad he took them. I was able to look at my form, and I can clearly see that I am supinating while I run - and that is something that I need to correct to help with my ITBS. I will talk about that in a different post.

________________________________________________
Overall: It was a nice flat course with minor hills (like if at all). So it would be one that you would be able to PR on. There were not a ton of people (281 total who ran). I ended up coming in at 2:11, which made my pace 14:05 per mile. Definitely not my best, but I was not even trying to push it.

Pros: Flat race course; Not a ton of people to compete with (only 16 in my age group); Good fruit/bread w/ honey, and coffee/hot chocolate at the finish.

Cons: Since I didn't run the entire series and just ran the 15k, I didn't get a medal (not that big of a deal, but I like swag); I didn't know what the course was until race day; There wasn't a way for runners/spectators to be able to cheer their runner/running friends on at the finish line; I also didn't know what my time was when I finished, Chase had to tell me.

Would I do this race again next year? Maybe, I may consider running the entire series.


Did you run a race this weekend?
___________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility  

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun! I need to pick your brain on Utah races :)

    Katie @ www.runningaragnar.com

    ReplyDelete