Things that are going to be Marathon Training

Monday, December 15

I recently watched Spirit of the Marathon for the first time. It was a great documentary on marathons and marathon training. It was cool to see how much training goes into preparing for a marathon.

Since I ran my first half marathon in January of 2013. I've been debating a lot on whether I wanted to run a marathon.
 photo BC527203-E1C6-4FE4-9F4F-81E2C8DC0538-1484-000000C06F73657B_zps4d8c8f50.jpg

It's been a huge thought process for me. Mainly because I haven't ever stuck with a training plan and when I do, I get injured because I push my body too hard. Since this last injury (IT band syndrome) the doctor I've been going to has been trying to get me to focus more on quality running not on quantity running. He even told me that working on my feet all day on concrete isn't good and that I should probably find another hobby. But I love running.

Chase and I went on vacation to Disneyland earlier this year, and we stayed with our friends down in Vegas for a night. While I was there I was going to run with my friend we were staying with, Celise. Because of lightening we decided to stay indoors. Celise has run several marathons and has been trying to get me to run the St. George Marathon with her for several years now. I'm still not at that point to run that particular race, but running a marathon is on my bucket list, and I would like to start training for one. 

 There are a few different training plans that I have considered.

Hal Higdon's novice training plan which is 18 weeks long and has you run 4 days a week with 2 days cross training.

Hal Higdon's marathon 3, which is 24 weeks long and has you running only 3 days a week with 2 days cross training.

Runner's World has a training plan that you can buy for $30 bucks. It's 16 weeks long and it has you run 5 days a week with 2 days of running.

Jeff Galloway's Marathon to Finish training plan that is meant for running and walking the whole marathon. It's a 30 week long program, and only has you running 3 days a week. No cross training and you run 26 miles 3 weeks before. 

Chicago Marathon Training plan by Nike+, running 5 days a week, with 1 day cross train.

Sports Fitness Advisor has beginner training that goes for 26 weeks, has you running at least 3-4 days a week with some fartlek workouts as well as some cross training. Longest run is 20 miles. 

I'm not sure what one to consider, and have still been on the fence on when to start, and how I should go about starting. I know picking a training plan and sticking with it will be my best bet in my training for a marathon. 

I would love any advice on what training plan you have done and what ones you have stuck with that have helped you be injury free.

What is your favorite race?
_____________________________________
Other places you can find me:
Instagram: @runningwithinfertility1
Pinterest: Running with Infertility
Twitter: @runwinfertility
Bloglovin': Running with Infertility
Email: runningwithinfertilityATgmail.com
Facebook: Running with Infertility
  

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I combined a few training methods for my marathon. I ran three days a week using Jeff galloways program for the long run. I stopped st 20 miles in training (I wonder go over 22), can't wait to read about your training adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I have felt that running 2-3 days a week helps me to not get injured. I'm trying to implement other things to try and help reduce that.

      Delete